06/05/2012

Do E-Readers mean the Death of the Written Word?

Not too long ago I was a Kindle hater, I used to become angry and sulky whenever someone even dared mention the word 'E-Reader' and the phrase 'Doesn't glare in the sunlight' used to bring out the Hulk in me. Do you know what else doesn't glare in sunlight? and doesn't need to be charged? A BLOODY BOOK. However, there has been a slow transition into passionate love for my very own Kindle. One of my friends, Ann got a Kindle, and I was pretty harsh, claiming that she was the reason that bookshops are closing all over the place and she was contributing the death of the printed word. Whilst I was unashamedly bashing her life choices, there was a completely different story occurring in my head. I was thinking, this is actually quite clever. It really doesn't glare in direct sunlight. From then on, the seed had been planted. For a long time after that I hadn't thought about the controversial world of e-readers, until my best friend, Kate got one for Christmas. I managed to get a close inspection of the previously despised device. Although I was still apprehensive, it exceeded all of my expectations, it has many dictionaries, in a variety of languages. So if you're reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, you will inevitably need some French translation as Conan Doyle loved a good French proverb or arbitrarily placed phrase. Why? Goodness knows, but obviously the dictionaries come in handy!

Another brilliant thing about the Kindle is that there are so many free books to download. I can't delay it any longer, I bought one. Okay okay, I've already been awarded hypocrite of the century award by all of my friends, so you can leave it out! The vast majority of classic, canonical literature is free or available for a very very reasonable price. I downloaded The Grimm's Fairy Stories, Jane Eyre, Les Miserables, Paradise Lost, Dracula and Pride & Prejudice all free of charge. That's fantastic in my eyes! A lot of the time I buy books that I've never read (usually canonical literature like Great Expectations etc.) and if I don't particularly like the book I feel as though I've wasted what is usually quite a bit of money for a book you aren't too fussed over. I would sell them on but I'm a bit of a hoarder so ordinarily they just stay dusty on my bookshelf. I think these free books are a great opportunity for readers to try out different books, see what they like, and most of the authors of these classic works aren't around any more so I don't feel as though they're being cheated out of any money. I also got The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection for 77 British pennies. How spectacular is that? If I love any of the books I read on my Kindle I will buy a hard copy of them, because I like to collect books, and smell them. A big part of the reading experience for me is turning the pages and smelling that familiar smell, that reminds me of a safe place, or an adventure. That's the only trouble with a Kindle and other e-readers; you don't get the full reading experience. That's what I am personally dreading. If books stop being printed and are only being downloaded, generations of readers will miss out on the wonderful experience that is real reading.

I stayed at Harry's last night, we watched food programmes on television and got really hungry. Then we got tired, then we got canoodley! I really like this one, I won't say love just yet but sometimes I feel as though I love you is always on the tip of my tongue and I have to try quite hard not to just blurt it out. I have no idea if he feels the same way I do, but he continually says 'I really really like you' but we have only been in a relationship for about two weeks (15 days but who's counting?) I don't feel as though I'm rushing anything, but I don't know if he is feeling as strongly as I am so soon in the relationship. I bloody hope so, otherwise I'll be falling in love with him and end up flat on my face because he's walked away and forgotten to catch me. I will also say that he is spectacular in bed, partly due to medication that he takes, a side effect of which is prolonged sexual stamina. It takes him a while to... finish shall we say. How perfect is that? Much better than premature ejaculation anyway! It's been a long time since I've had sex, so it was a bit like the first time again, but he was so gentle with me, and I really appreciated that. Nonetheless I'm still a bit sore today, we were at it for quite some time. Is this too much information? Who am I kidding, you love a dirty story! I think that will do for your filthy fix, you cheeky buggers!

No comments:

Post a Comment